If my 2nd son had hemolytic disease of the newborn, what are the chances the rest of my babies will as well?

Dr. James Cummings
Pediatrics - Neonatology

In brief: Depends

Hemolytic disease of the newborn, which is due to rh or ABO incompatibility, happens when the newborn's blood type is incompatible with the mother's, and the mother has passed antibody to the baby in utero.
In ABO disease, the mother must be type o and the baby either a or b. In rh disease, the mother must be rh- and the baby rh+. So, subsequent risk depends on the fetus' blood type.

In brief: Depends

Dr. James Cummings
Dr. James Cummings

In brief: For normal child

Get vit k upon delivery as per any newborn routine care.
It will decrease chances of hemolytic disease of newborn significantly. If you are concerned about hereditary disease i would recommend to pay a visit to a hematologist and genetics prior to become pregnant with the next child.

In brief: For normal child

Dr. Ecaterina Sartina
Dr. Ecaterina Sartina
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Board Certified, Pediatrics - Critical Care