If I had polycythemia as a child is it likely that my son will also have it?

Dr. Rashed Hasan
Pediatrics - Critical Care

In brief: Polycythemia

Some types of polycythemia are inherited.
However, if you developed polycythemia soon after birth and then it resolved, then it is less likely to be something that is inherited. Polycythemia vera is associated with certain gene defects. Mutations in the jak2 and tet2 genes are associated with polycythemia vera.

In brief: Polycythemia

Dr. Rashed Hasan
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Dr. Sari Nabulsi

In brief: Not likely

Polycythemia is a condition related to risk factors like maternal diabetis, ABO or rh incompatibility, iugr. Unless you have a condition that predisposes to polycythemia there is no need to worry.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Sari Nabulsi
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Board Certified, Pediatrics - Critical Care