How well does ecmo work for ivh?

Dr. Clara Song
Pediatrics - Neonatology

In brief: Contraindicated

Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ecmo) is contraindicated in cases of severe intracranial or intraventricular hemorrhage (ivh).
During ecmo, anti-coagulation therapy (blood thinning) is necessary which can worsen this condition.

In brief: Contraindicated

Dr. Clara Song
Dr. Clara Song
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Pediatrics - Critical Care

In brief: ECMO ->ECLS

The new term for ecmo is ecls = extracorporeal life support.
Ecls is used to support the functions of the lungs and the heart, when these organs have failed. To my knowledge ecls is not a treatment for intraventricular hemorrhage (ivh) if that is what you mean by ivh. In fact newborns who are treated with ecls may develop ivh because of the anti-coagulation that is a necessary part of ecls.

In brief: ECMO ->ECLS

Dr. Rashed Hasan
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Dr. Jonathan Jassey