How often do you get bronchopulmonary dysplasia in children who were not born prematurely?

Dr. Raja Nandyal

In brief: Rarely

Bpd can happen in even term infants exposed to high oxygen concentration, and prolonged high ventilator support, which are rarely needed for a term infant, the risk factors are meconium aspiration, pneumonia, congenital abnormalities of lungs like diaphragmatic hernia, pulmonary hypertension, polycythemia etc.

In brief: Rarely

Dr. Raja Nandyal
Dr. Raja Nandyal
Dr. Rashed Hasan
Pediatrics - Critical Care

In brief: BPD

We no longer use the term bronchopulmonary dysplasia (bpd), instead we use the term "chronic lung disease"(cld).
Cld can develop in a baby who was born at term if there is an insult early in life such as developing a lung infection (e.g. Severe RSV infection with respiratory failure) soon after birth or in the first few months of life.

In brief: BPD

Dr. Rashed Hasan
Dr. Rashed Hasan
2 comments
Dr. Raja Nandyal
I respectfully disagree. In Neonatal world, still use the word "BPD" for infants with O2 dependency of at least 4 weeks noted at 36 weeks (PCA). Currently we also have terms "New BPD and Old BPD" (Dr. Allen Jobe, Cincinnati Children's Hospital). The term chronic lung disease (CLD) refers to any infant with both clinical and radiological changes without reference to any post-conceptional age.
Dr. Jason Adler
I think that both of you have vaild points. In the spirit of the question, and given that practioners to this day often use the terms BPD and CLD interchangeably, whether correctly or not, I would agree that BPD as a form of CLD of infancy occurs due to an insult in the neonatal period requiring significant respiratory support. This form of BPD is less common than BPD associated with prematurity
Dr. Cindy Juster