How likely is it that a baby with meconium aspiration will end up developing lung problems etc. In later life?

Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Not necessarily

If there was not significant injury as a result of the aspiration, your child should do fine.
Consider seeking the counsel of a chinese medicine practitioner in your area. I have had good results in my area. Chinese medicine herbs can help the body repair itself and then there is no concern that there will be issues later. The herbs are safe...Find a good practitioner.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz

In brief: It depends

Meconium aspiration in and of itself does not cause significant lung problems later in life.
The potential pneumonia from the aspiration is easily treated when it occurs. If, however, the meconium aspiration leads to further lung or heart problems, there may be consequences in later life.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
Dr. Evelyn Hurvitz
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology