Can babies have a metal plate put in for a collar bone fracture?

No. All fractures of collar bones of babies heal nicely without any surgery (within 7 to 10 days). Very rarely, an infant with brittle bone disease (viable type) may have a fracture of collar bone. I am not aware of any surgery being done in such situation.
No. Surgery is never needed for babies with clavicle fracture. They always heal well on their own.
Why ever? Newborns heal without specific therapy. The bone has a rubbery sleeve that keeps a cracked bone in place, so there is no need for external devices to align it. If an older infant whose break was in a crash with true overriding bones. Just keeping the shoulders back with a strap will usually fix it.
Yes. A baby can have a metal plate put in for a collar bone fracture, but this would require a very rare and extremely unique set of circumstances to be indicated.