Why are physicians so wary of herbal remedies?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Evidence or Lack Of

As pediatrician, i worry about herbal remedies mostly because of lack of convincing research that they are effective and safe.
If I have proof of safety, trying it will not hurt. Often it is assumed that "natural" products are safe. If so, then those mushrooms growing in the backyard will not poison me.Seriously, most pediatric herbal cures , when studied have so far been found not to work well.

In brief: Evidence or Lack Of

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond
2 comments
Dr. Patrick Melder
I'm amazed when patients ask me about side effects of medications, but on the other hand will take..
Dr. Patrick Melder
Herbal remedies with little to no clinical data... That is dangerous.
Dr. Matt Pflieger

In brief: Complicated

Several issues: 1.
Many patients do not inform us of what they are taking and they can affect the prescription medicine you are taking. 2. Herbal medicine is not regulated by the fda so you can not guarantee the dosing is always accurate. 3. Since the fda has no oversight, the companies making the medicine can make any claims about the remedy, whether it is accurate or not.

In brief: Complicated

Several issues: 1.
Dr. Matt Pflieger
Dr. Matt Pflieger
Dr. William Forsythe