What are the main differences between osteopathic and homeopathic medicine?

Dr. Pamela Pappas
In brief: Differentiation
Osteopathic physicians receive the "doctor of osteopathic medicine" (do).
This involves physical body manipulation as well as all other "conventional" practices, and was founded by dr. Andrew still. Homeopathic medicine stimulates healing by using small doses of medicine, prescribed according to the principle "like cures like". Both try to relieve suffering & illness, & increase health.

In brief: Differentiation
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Sonia Rapaport
In brief: Very Different
Homeopathy is a form of medicine developed by samuel hahnemann, md, in the early 1800s, which uses the law of similars to treat conditions.
Osteopathy, developed by a.T. Still, md in the late 1800s, involves the manipulation of the skeletal system to affect change in the body. Osteopaths (D.O.S) are consider equivalent to mds. Homeopaths may be mds, or other practitioners.

In brief: Very Different
Dr. Sonia Rapaport
Dr. Sonia Rapaport
Luke Kane
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Agree with Dr Pappas
I deleted my answer for this question and agree with dr pappas answer above.
I co-signed an answer for a student who actually authored the answer. He was asking for an m.D to sign it and and due to my lack of knowledge about practice of homeopathy in us i agreed to sign. .I thank dr. Pappas for providing the up to date information.

In brief: Agree with Dr Pappas
Luke Kane
Luke Kane
Answer assisted by Luke Kane, Medical Student
3 comments
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Actually, 3 states DO license homeopathic physicians: AZ, NV, and CT. All such physicians have graduated from conventional medical schools, done residencies, and passed any applicable board exams. Homeopathic medical licensure requires additional training and skills, as well as a separate board exam. In AZ, this licensure covers all forms of treatment in which the physician is trained, except invasive surgery. In addition, think homeopathy, orthomolecular therapy, nutrition, chelation therapy, acupuncture, neuromuscular integration, minor surgery, and pharmaceutical medicine. Depending on training, the physician may or may not practice all of those areas, but the licensure covers them and the board reviews them.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
I meant to also add that in order to be considered for a homeopathic medical license in AZ, the physician must already have a conventional MD license in good standing in AZ or another state. Most of the homeopathic physicians in AZ are "out of network" for insurance, but insurance does cover their treatments if the patient wishes to filed for out of network reimbursement. I do not think patients would agree that their treatments have "no recognized therapeutic value."
Dr. Kevin Considine
In brief: Very Different
Osteopathic medicine refers to the use of manual manipulative treatment for musculoskeletal ailments as well as holistic patient centered approach to medical treatment whereas homeopathic medicine is the use of tinctures of herbal meds that are very dilute and reported to decrease symptoms by causing an opposite clinical effect of what the herbal medicine would normally cause.

In brief: Very Different
Dr. Kevin Considine
Dr. Kevin Considine
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Just an addition -- homeopathy uses medicines from all kingdoms -- mineral, animal AND plant -- not just those made from "herbals". They are not tinctures. Some, if made from solid material, are triturated or ground into lactose before the dilution and succussion (vigorous shaking) steps are done. The healing system responds to this small dose by correcting itself, thus relieving symptoms.
Dr. Adam Smith