How effective are "detoxamine edta suppositories" as chelation therapy for removing heavy metals and plaque from the blood?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine
In brief: Effective for metals
More research is needed but there is evidence that detoxamin suppositories can help remove heavy metals; whether they remove plaque is still to be determined but removing lead should lead to plaque reduction.
Oral edta is only about 5% absorbed. Research has shown detoxamin is about 35% absorbed but stays in the body a much longer time than IV edta. Please see my comment for more information.

In brief: Effective for metals
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
While IV EDTA chelation has much more research to support its effectiveness, Detoxamin is much more affordable and less invasive. I have done tests on patients before and after treatment with Detoxamin showing significant reductions in body burden of heavy metals. Due to FDA regulations one can no longer purchase Detoxamin online but it is still available through practitioners. For a summary of preliminary research on the absorption and bioavailability of Detoxamin see http://azd.sanguisdevelopment.com/new-detoxamin-scientific-research-findings-0
Dr. Ward Dean
Anti-Aging Medicine
In brief: Not very effective
Oral edta is often used to supplement or replace IV edta chelation therapy.
Although oral edta can be very effective for heavy metal toxicity and removal of plaque, it is poorly absorbed from the GI tract--i.e., about 85-90% of an oral dose is excreted in the stool. Thus, whether taken orally or rectally, most of the dose winds up in the stool. Rectal edta is a fraud and waste of money.

In brief: Not very effective
Dr. Ward Dean
Dr. Ward Dean
Dr. Randy Baker
I have tremendous respect for Dr. Dean but feel that his statement that "Rectal EDTA is a fraud and waste of money" is rather extreme and not supported by science. While he is correct that oral EDTA is minimally absorbed, at least one form of rectal EDTA, Detoxamin, has been found to be 35% absorbed and stay in the body for a much longer time than IV EDTA. I have seen evidence of significant reductions in body burden of heavy metals in patients who have used Detoxamin. For a summary of the research see http://azd.sanguisdevelopment.com/new-detoxamin-scientific-research-findings-0
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care
In brief: There are alternativ
There are safer way to clean heavy metals from body.
Modified citrus pectin removes all chemical toxins, cholrella removes heavy metals, and to keep liver healthy during detox use lipoic acid, vitamin c and glutathione. Edta is aggressive and can create burden to body if there is underlying nutritional deficiency - by producing oxidative stress.

In brief: There are alternativ
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care
In brief: Caution required
Edta chelation can cause severe mineral depletion in the body so it is very important to replenish all the nutrietns for atleast 3 weeks after chelation.

In brief: Caution required
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Adam Smith