Biofeedback - which is more accurate for generalized anxiety, galvanic skin response or heart rate variability?

Dr. Pejman Katiraei
Holistic Medicine

In brief: HRV

I can speak for heart rate variability and say that it is an accurate and powerful way to assess biofeedback.
We have used hrv based devices in our clinic with good response.

In brief: HRV

Dr. Pejman Katiraei
Dr. Pejman Katiraei
Dr. Cecilia Alailima
I agree. We find HRV and EEG-biofeedback are the most effective type of biofeedback used to manage anxiety in our clinic with very good long-term outcomes. Talk therapy is still very important to explore underlying issues or possible trauma to insure the client develops insight on how anxiety can generalize and good coping skills so future events don't re-trigger an abnormal anxiety response.
Dr. Monika Heller
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Combination

The best form of biofeedback is using as much information as possible which would include both galvanic skin response and heart rate variability.

In brief: Combination

Dr. Monika Heller
Dr. Monika Heller
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Individual matter

Biofeedback can be very effective for some, but not at all for other people.
Similarly, gsr & hrv variations of biofeedback vary in effectiveness depending upon the individual, and to some extent, the clinician. You will need to see which, if either, gives you worthwhile protection from anxiety.

In brief: Individual matter

Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Rudolf Brutoco
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine