How will I know if I am doing a good job pushing?

Dr. Alan Patterson

In brief: Your doc or midwife

Should be able to tell if u are pushing well, good pushing does not always produce a vaginal delivery as the baby may be too big for your vagina and pelvis, if u are pushing well and the baby gets stuck then u need a c-section and if u delay once the bay is stuck then it could cause huge problems.

In brief: Your doc or midwife

Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Alan Patterson
Dr. Ruth Crystal

In brief: Pushing

The nurse or doctor will guide you during pushing by placing a gloved finger in the vagina to show you where to push down and will tell you how to do it correctly.
She will evaluate if the baby's head is descending in the vagina (birth canal) by doing a vaginal exam to see if the baby's head has come down past the level of the pelvic bone spines. You push during contractions for increased force.

In brief: Pushing

Dr. Ruth Crystal
Dr. Ruth Crystal
Dr. Vicken Poochikian