What are the side effects of taking sulfa-based drugs like bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) ds during pregnancy?

Ok until 36 weeks. You can take Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) up to 36 weeks. After 36 weeks you should avoid bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim).
Jaundice near term. Sulfonamides readily cross placenta to fetus and concentrations in fetus could range for 70% -90 % that of the mother. Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) is contraindicated near term of pregnancy/ in infants less than 2 months old due to increase risk of jaundice, hemolytic anemia /kernicterus. Risk/benefits should be evaluated by your physician in a case by case as Bactrim (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim) can be used in hiv-infected pregnant women.
Category C. C:use with caution if benefits outweigh risks. Animal studies show risk and human studies not available or neither animal nor human studies done.Side effects are same as normal person. Not good meds for lactating mother.