Is it true that dried blood is infectious?

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Tough viruses

Well in theory, some viruses such as Hepatitis B or Hepatitis C can survive in blood - even if it's dried.
The question in my mind is 'how much blood', and 'how long was the blood there'-if it really was dried or not. Luckily there are great vaccines for Hep B, and there's very good treatment for Hep C. So I would seek to clarify one's exposure, then follow up with a doc who would know what to do

In brief: Tough viruses

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. Stephen Scholand
Dr. Andreas Kogelnik

Yes, dried blood can carry infectious viruses and other pathogens.
Universal precautions (gloves, handwashing) should always be used when handling blood of others (even dried).

Dr. Andreas Kogelnik
Dr. Andreas Kogelnik
Dr. Jonathan Jassey