Is it true that a liver biopsy is painful?

Pain is relative. One would think that a liver biopsy is very painful, but actually as long as you are prepared mentally and perhaps take a medication to relax you, it is not that bad at all. I would recommend xanax (alprazolam). What is more important about a liver biopsy is the chance of bleeding from the biopsy site over the next 24 hours. Be very careful to rest afterward and avoid any exertion.
It depends. The liver is not largely innervated with pain nerve fibers. So any pain that is felt during the procedure should be largely related to the biopsy instruments penetrating the skin, soft tissues and muscle of the abdominal wall. Anxiety also plays a large role in pain perception, so it is important to be mentally prepared for the procedure with realistic expectations and communication with doctor.