Why is it that liver problems give you itchy skin?

Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dermatology

In brief: Toxins

The liver metabolizes medications , hormones and other bodily substances and if not functioning properly , toxins accumulate in the blood causing the skin to itch along with other undesirable effects.

In brief: Toxins

Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dr. Michael Tomeo
Dr. Vasu Brown
Wound care

In brief: Bile salts

This is due to a build up of bile in the blood stream which then gets deposited in the skin and whites of the eyes.
Along with bile there is a second chemical called bile salts - these also get deposited in the skin and cause distressing itching. I have used Questran (cholestyramine) compounded cream 5% to help pull the bile salts from skin to help relieve itching. You can also take Questran (cholestyramine) orally to relievethis.

In brief: Bile salts

Dr. Vasu Brown
Dr. Vasu Brown