Why might my doctor want me to get a liver biopsy?

Dr. Kai Philipp Olshausen

In brief: Various reasons

Liver biopsy can be done to aid in diagnosis of a suspected liver problem due to abnormal blood test for example.
Sometimes it is done to see how progressed a certain disease is - chronic hepatitis for example.

In brief: Various reasons

Dr. Kai Philipp Olshausen
Dr. Kai Philipp Olshausen

In brief: Various reasons

In general liver biopsy will be ordered for one of several reasons.
If you have no history of liver disease then your doctor is either ordering the biopsy because you have abnormal blood work or you have abnormal finding on ct, MRI or ultrasound scan of your liver. If you have history of hepatitis or other chronic liver disease you will need a biopsy to determine the degree of liver damage.

In brief: Various reasons

Dr. Brandon Martinez
Dr. Brandon Martinez
Dr. Vicken Poochikian