How does valve replacement surgery work?

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Valve replacement

When the native valve needs to be replaced.
A heart surgical team excises the native diseased valve and replaces it with a mechanical or tissue artificial valve. This is sewn into place. The patient generally will be on anticoagulation if a mechanical valve is implanted. The patient goes through cardiac rehabilitation after surgical recovery to regain physical function.

In brief: Valve replacement

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Bart Denys
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Valve surgery

I don't know how specific or technical an answer you expect.
.. In essence, your (native) valve is cut out, and a replacement is sewn in. This replacement can be a biological valve made from animal product or made from metal alloy...

In brief: Valve surgery

Dr. Bart Denys
Dr. Bart Denys