What is the benefits of having the heart enclosed in a sac that has pericardium?

Dr. Ibrahim Moussa
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Many

The pericardium isolates the heart from surrounding organs, prevents the heart from over expanding when blood volume increases, limits heart motion, and keeps a small amount of fluid around the heart that severs as a lubricant which reduces friction with surrounding tissue as the heart beats.

In brief: Many

Dr. Ibrahim Moussa
Dr. Ibrahim Moussa
Dr. Samuel Hahn
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: RV strain

My personal opinion is that the pericardium serves to protect the heart inside the chest cavity but just as importantly, constrains the rv during acute overload (i.
e. Sudden increase in venous return during exercise) which might cause the rv to fail.

In brief: RV strain

Dr. Samuel Hahn
Dr. Samuel Hahn
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine