Why do hearts flutter?

Fast heart rate. When someone's heart rate is fast (more than 100 beats per minute), it can feel like heart fluttering. It can have different causes from very benign, no needing treatment to life threatening. The term 'atrial flutter' describes an abnormally fast rhythm where the electricity in the upper chamber of the heart goes round and round a large circle.
Most common. Reason is premature atrial or ventricular contractions which are generally benign but other arrhythmias not so much.
Many reasons. Usually for various reasons, the rhythm of the heart changes and the patient feels a flutter. Typical reasons are supraventricular or arrhythmias from above the ventricle. These include atrial flutter and fibrillation.