Are palpitations inherited?

Dr. Jerry Routh

In brief: Sometimes

Palpitations or the awareness of your heart beat is very common.
It may be due to extra beats of the heart from stress, or med/diet issues. Others include atrial fibrillation which may often appear as you age. And, paroxysmal atrial tachycardia which may be inherited or be related to heart wiring issues at birth. Sudden cardiac death my occur in some families due to prolonged qt syndrome.

In brief: Sometimes

Dr. Jerry Routh
Dr. Jerry Routh
Dr. Julian Aroesty

In brief: Not usually

Palpitations are due to arrhythmias and while most palpitations are due to premature contractions which are not inherited, there are some arrhythmias which are inherited, generally those that are more serious in nature.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Julian Aroesty
Dr. Julian Aroesty
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology