Can you tell me about pacemakers?

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Sure I can

They are used if the heart is beating too slow.
Electrodes are inserted into the heart through a vein usually in the area of the clavicle. They are attached to a battery which sends an electric current down the wires. This causes the heart to contract. We can set the rate so that the heart will beat faster. Also the device senses if your heart beats on its own and is in that case inhibited.

In brief: Sure I can

Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Louis Grenzer
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Pacemaker

A pacemaker is an electronic device which uses a lead as an antenna to sense the heart's electrical activity.
It uses the same lead(s) to deliver a small electrical impulse to the heart to make it contract if the heart isn't going as fast as the device was programmed to maintain. Pacemakers both sense heart activity and pace it to produce activity. They maintain heart rate. Other things too....

In brief: Pacemaker

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology