What does mitral valve do in the body?

Mitral valve. The mitral valve has to open properly to let blood flow into the left ventricle from the atrium. If it doesn't, we call this stenosis. It has to close to keep the blood flowing toward the body, if it doesn't we call this regurgitation or insufficiency. Either or both problems can exist with the valve if its abnormal. Insufficiency is more common.
See below. The mitral valve regulates the inflow of the heart into the left ventricle and regulates the flow between the high chamber of the heart (atrium) and the low chamber of the heart (ventricle) on the left side. And it prevents the blood from going back into the lungs on the left side.