What is the average life expectancy after having a left ventricular assist device implanted?

Dr. Nassir Azimi
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: Average 1 year

The average life expectancy is about 1 year. I have a patient live almost 4 years with the destination lvad.

In brief: Average 1 year

Dr. Nassir Azimi
Dr. Nassir Azimi
Dr. Robert Binford
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: It really depends

Depends on the goals of the lvad (there are 3).
1. Bridge to recovery - some people have lvad placed temporarily to allow their heart to recover from surgery or a bad heart attack. 2. Bridge to transplant - some people have it placed until a suitable heart becomes available to transplant. 3. Destination therapy - some get their lvad with plan to be final treatment. This is changing constantly.

In brief: It really depends

Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Umesh Patel