Why would the implantable cardioverter-defibrillator not start a pacemaker when the pacemaker shut off?

Dr. Charles Jost
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: ???
I think there may be some confusion.
An implanted cardio-verter defibrillator delivers a shock when certain rhythms are detected per the parameters or threshholds set by the cardiologist. The pacemaker paces the heart - the pacemaker would only 'shut off' if it was end of life, i.e. Expired battery. The icd is a pacemaker and a defibrillator and they serve two functions, both tied to heart rhythm.

In brief: ???
I think there may be some confusion.
Dr. Charles Jost
Dr. Charles Jost
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: ICD
Icds do not start pacemakers which aren't working.
There is a pacemaker function built into icds however and it is unlikely that an icd would work to shock the heart but not pace.

In brief: ICD
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology