Why did my doctor order an implantable cardioverter defibrillator for me?

Dr. Howard Rubin
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: ICD
You must be at risk for an arrhythmia called ventricular fibrillation that the icd is designed to detect and shock to avoid sudden death.

In brief: ICD
Dr. Howard Rubin
Dr. Howard Rubin
Dr. Charles Jost
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: See Below
Please ask your cardiologist to fully explain your individual indications for the implanted defibrillator.
In general, a icd is implanted because the patient has a dangerous, life-threathening arrhythmia such as ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation. The shock(s) delivered by the icd can return the heart to a normal rhythm in an instance of deadly arrhythmia.

In brief: See Below
Dr. Charles Jost
Dr. Charles Jost
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine