Why do people have high diastolic pressure?

HTN. The pattern of high blood pressure is that young people tend to have high diastolic pressure and elderly people tend to have high systolic pressure. Both/either are harmful and should be controlled. The cause of essential hypertension has never been adequately determined. There is a genetic component and obesity is a risk factor.
Several reasons. The answer is the same for systolic blood pressure. Most is idiopathic (you just get it, no reason) and it does run in families. There are certain rare causes such as adrenal tumors, kidney diseases, or narrowing of the aorta that produce what is called secondary hypertension.