What causes high blood pressure in a young child?

Many possibilities. There are a variety of issues that deserve screening when a kid has high blood pressure. The kidney is often looked at closely because various chemicals that originate from the kidney help drive the pressure. Other issues of diet & size can also come into play as well as a group of less common factors. Your pcp should work this up or send you to a pedi-nephrologist for answers.
See your doctor. High blood pressure in b a young child can have several causes but are more likely to have a medical cause beyond just being overweight. Seeing a doctor to check for signs of kidney, thyroid or heart disease is important. Sometimes it is more a matter of the blood pressure having been checked incorrectly, so if you are getting high readings in a drugstore have your doctor re-check the pressure.