Why do you need a heart transplant?

Weak heart muscle. If the heart muscle gets very weak for whatever reason, it may not be able to pump the blood adequately. Therefore if the problem is severe enough and does not improve with medication, sometimes they only treatment left is to remove the diseased heart and tranplant a healthy heart.
Heart failure. When there are proper indications of an absolutely failing heart on major medications, and perhaps with an lvad (left ventricular assist device )in place, a person will be considered and "listed". The surgery requires heart lung machine support of the recipient while their heart is removed and the donor heart is sewn in place.