What is the time line on the progression of heart bypass surgery?

Dr. Bart Denys
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Bypass longivity
I often hear patients claim they were told bypasses last 10 years.
.. Not true anymore. Maybe so in the past, but no longer with improved treatments available for cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes etc... I have patients who are 20+ years after surgery and doing well, very well indeed. Of course much depends upon what the patient does. My best advice is only as good as it is being practiced.

In brief: Bypass longivity
Dr. Bart Denys
Dr. Bart Denys
Dr. Robert Binford
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: No specific time
Everyone is different and have different recoveries.
Most elective surgeries are admitted the morning of surgery. Most heart surgeries are around 3-4 hrs but this can vary tremendously. You typically go to a special ICU for 1 day and then to a regular room on a ward specializing in heart patients. Usually hospital stay is 4-5 days (also wide variation). Total recovery is 3 months.

In brief: No specific time
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology