What is the role of your saphenous vein for heart bypass surgery?

Bypass conduit. Internal thoracic arteries and saphenous veins are used to bypass the obstructed native coronaries. Depending on location and number if diseased vessels , more length of vein may be harvested, prepared , reversed due to intrinsic valves, and sewn to aorta as inflow, and to distal coronary to provide new flow to heart.
The bypass tube. The greater saphenous vein and occasionally the lesser saphenous vein ( superficial veins in the leg ) are the usual "tubes" used for coronary artery bypass and frequently for other artery bypass operations.