How successful is heart bypass procedure for a stricken heart patient?

Depends. If the bypass is done before there is a lot of damage and if there are no complications, the patient should do well. Pain should improve and the patient should be able to recover.
Depends. Depends on coronary anatomy, ejection fraction, valve pathology and comorbidities. Your cardiac surgeon can tell you. In good candidates good outcome, in poor candidates poor. The society of thoracic surgeons risk calculator can give you an idea but must have all data requested for best estimation.