How do I go about getting a second medical opinion for my father who is waiting for heart bypass surgery?

Dr. Charles Jost
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Ask Others

You can ask your primary care doctor or your cardiologist.
Board certification and renewal is something you can consider. You can call local hospitals and ask for the names of cardiac surgeons, their complication rate and the number of cases they do annually since there is some correlation between higher volumes and lower complications; you can also ask your cardiologist about these factors.

In brief: Ask Others

Dr. Charles Jost
Dr. Charles Jost
Dr. Robert Binford
Surgery - Thoracic

In brief: Ask for it

Your heart surgeon or cardiologist should be able to suggest another surgeon or cardiologist to give you a second opinion.
If they hesitate then that would concern me. I am always happy to help my patients get a second opinion. I want them comfortable with the decision and comfortable with me as well. Obviously there can be emergencies which would make second opinions impractical.

In brief: Ask for it

Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Robert Binford
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology