What are some diet recommendations for someone with gestational diabetes?

Small portions. You need to have an honest, realistic assessment of your calorie needs per day which is generally too much. It is based on your prepregnancy height and weight. You need to eat unprocessed food. Make your food yourself. You need to eat a tremendous amount of vegetables of all sorts. The bulk of your plate should be filled with vegetables. Eat a lot of fish for your protein source.
Low Glycemic Index. You have competing concerns; you must nourish yourself and your baby, but avoid raising blood sugar. The best foods are vegetables and lean proteins, like skinless chicken or legumes, as these raise sugars very little. You will need some carbohydrates but these should be whole grains, with minimal sugars. Your OB should be able to help with resources; be sure to take your prenatal vitamin.