What is the difference between restrictive cardiomyopathy and constrictive pericarditis of the heart disease?

Dr. William Goldie
Pediatrics - Neurology

In brief: I will do my best

No one is answering you.
Cardiomyopathy describes disease of heart muscle. If the heart becomes restrictive is how well it can beat by weak contraction of the muscle, this becomes restrictive cardiomyopathy. The pericardium is a sac that surrounds the heart. If it is thickened and become stiff it will restrict the expansion and contraction of the heart in a secondary manner. Best i can do.

In brief: I will do my best

No one is answering you.
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. William Goldie
Dr. Bennett Werner
I agree with Dr. Goldie but let me try to expand a little. In constriction, the heart muscle is normal and imprisoned by a scarred pericardial sac that interferes with filling. In restriction, the heart muscle is diseased and the abnormal physiology specifically takes the form of impaired filling due to loss of the elastic properties or compliance of the heart muscle. Pressures rise in the left ventricle, atrium and pulmonary vascular bed leading to congestive failure. As you can see, the 2 physiologies are similar but the causes are different and thus the treatments are different.
Dr. Francis Uricchio
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Anatomy

Restriction and constriction both involve limitation to adequate filling of the heart when the heart is relaxing.
In restriction, limitation is in the muscle of the heart. In construction, the limitation is in the pericardial sac which surrounds the heart.

In brief: Anatomy

Dr. Francis Uricchio
Dr. Francis Uricchio
Dr. Umesh Patel