Why is dobutamine given intravenously?

Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: No other form

Presently, there is no other form of Dobutamine on the market.
Generally, when Dobutamine is used, one is seeking immediate action of the drug, if the drug was administered through just about any other route, it would take longer to act and the delay in action is not desirable. This of course excludes CHF patients on chronic Dobutamine pump, my first sentence is directed at them.

In brief: No other form

Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Dr. Shahin Tavackoli
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Dobutamine

Dobutamine is quite potent and given orally would cause gastric lining problems, given intramuscularly similar problems would be caused, giving it intravenously allows the effects to be controlled by controlling the infusion of small doses into the dilution of the blood stream.

In brief: Dobutamine

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Calvin Weisberger