How do I know if I have heart failure ?

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: Increasing swelling

This should raise your suspicion especially if associated with shortness of breath and easy fatigueability that is getting worse.
The swelling is usually in the legs and is worst at bedtime and least in am on rising from bed. It is unusual to have CHF without leg edema in the evenings, unless you are taking water pills.

In brief: Increasing swelling

Dr. Tarek Naguib
Dr. Tarek Naguib
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Heart failure

Heart failure means the heart is not pumping adequate output to satisfy the bodies needs.
Usually this results in fluid retention, fatigue, edema, and shortness of breath. There is a form called diastolic failure in which the heart pumps adequately but to do this requires high intracranial pressures and fluid retention.

In brief: Heart failure

Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Calvin Weisberger
Dr. Vicken Poochikian