How do I know if I have heart failure?

Increasing swelling. This should raise your suspicion especially if associated with shortness of breath and easy fatigueability that is getting worse. The swelling is usually in the legs and is worst at bedtime and least in am on rising from bed. It is unusual to have CHF without leg edema in the evenings, unless you are taking water pills.
Heart failure. Heart failure means the heart is not pumping adequate output to satisfy the bodies needs. Usually this results in fluid retention, fatigue, edema, and shortness of breath. There is a form called diastolic failure in which the heart pumps adequately but to do this requires high intracranial pressures and fluid retention.