Should transesophageal echocardiography be performed in all patients before cardioversion?

It depends. If the patient has been on a blood thinner for at least 4 weeks then most of the time, it is not necessary. However if the patient is not on a blood thinner, then tee is recommended to detect clot (s) in the heart.
Not neccessary. For pts on anticoagulation for 6 to 8 wks the chances of cardiac source of emboli and cva is low. If its shorter than this a tee would be needed to rule out a clot in the left atrial apendage.