What can I expect if I have group b strep?

Dr. Megan Bird
In brief: Antibiotics in labor
When a woman has group b strep we start antibiotics when she goes into labor.
These antibiotics pass through the placenta and protect the baby during delivery. You can also expect more careful assessments of baby after delivery and possibly needing to stay at least 24 hours. If you don't get at least two doses of antibiotics before delivery, you may need to stay for further monitoring.

In brief: Antibiotics in labor
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Megan Bird
In brief: Surveilance
If you carry gbs late in pregnancy, the OB will likely give antibiotics to you in an IV during labor based on a protocol found to help prevent gbs passage to the newborn.
The receiving pediatrician will also do specific things to monitor the baby.

In brief: Surveilance