Is it normal for a high ankle sprain to still be swollen 3 months after the injury? I was diagnosed with a high ankle sprain after a taekwondo accident. I was put in a walking boot for 3 weeks and then in a lace up brace for several weeks. It was feeling

Dr. Michael Lee
Sports Medicine

In brief: You

You could also get a stress-xray to see if there is any widening between the tibia and fibula which could represent a ligament injury.
I think if your ankle is still swelling it is worth a trip back to your orthopedic surgeon.

In brief: You

Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Options ...

Options may include immobilization, physical therapy, or surgery.

In brief: Options ...

Dr. Howard Fox
Podiatry

In brief: The

The short answer: yes! the long explanation: based on an examination and history, and taking x-rays and not seeing a fracture, your orthopedic surgeon did exactly the right thing in treating a "sprain.
" but ligaments don't show up on an x-ray, and if you tore a ligament, you'll need an MRI to see that. But no one rushes to order expensive tests as the first order of business. The protocol is to treat the obvious, and if, in time, healing isn't what's expected, then you get the MRI and see why. So go back to your surgeon and find out what's going on with the soft tissue of your ankle. Feel better!

In brief: The

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine