My left temple feels different than the right one. Sometimesi feel a slight pain in my cheek too. What is it? My dentist says that I have a wisdom tooth that needs to come out on that side. I'm scared that if i get it removed, the pain will still be there

In brief: What

What would make you think that your pain was being caused by a tumor? You have been examined physically by a dentist who has determined that your wisdom tooth needs extraction.
If you feel comfortable with tour dentist, heed their advice and extract this tooth. On the very, very, very remote chance that it is something else, you will deal with that later. It appears that this wisdom tooth is the most likely cause. All the best to you.

In brief: What

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. G Funari
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Besides

Besides the contents of your skull (ie.
Brain) the only structures in the temple region are the bone, overlying periosteum, temporalis muscle, and the scalp. Typically pain in this area is due to issues with the muscle or a large artery that tracks up the side of you head. This muscle attaches to the side of the head and tracks under the cheek bone to attach to the lower jaw. It functions to close your jaw and to shift it to the left. Associated with this muscle is another muscle that attaches to your cheek bone and the back corner of the lower jaw. These muscles, if overused due to clenching you teeth or grinding them, will become sore. Typically using a non-steroidal antiflammatory agent (motrin/advil), heat and limiting use of your jaw. Pain from the artery is due to a spasm in the vessel and is typically pulsating in nature, feels like a headache and typically resolves in a day or so unless it is a more serious problem like temporal arteritis. Though possible, a brain tumor will not typically manifest itself first as a pain in the temple or cheek region. As far as the wisdom teeth are concerned, if the upper third molar is erupting it may be causing pain in the temporal muscle as it rubs against it while your jaw is opening and closing. Removal of this third molar, as well as the other three if indicated, may have the beneficial effect of eliminating the cheek and temple pain. I recommend that you schedule an appointment with a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to further evaluate you pain and third molars.

In brief: Besides

Besides the contents of your skull (ie.
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: To

To rule out a tumor, get an mri.
However, it is most likely a TMJ disorder. Get the wisdom tooth/teeth out, then after everything heals, address the jaw pain.

In brief: To

To rule out a tumor, get an mri.
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dr. Lance Timmerman