I had a bridge put in and the "anchor tooth" in the back cracked 45 days later. I was told that i had to now buy a newbridge that would cost more than the previous bridge. I believe that the dentist put the first bridge in without examining it. Is it dent

Dr. G Funari
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: As

As a surgeon i can tell you that even with the best clinical exam and radiographs fractured teeth escape detection until some event draws your attention to the problem, such as pain, infection or further fracture.
Your post did not indicate that you were having symptoms associated with the tooth. Even when fractured teeth are extracted you may not be able to detect the fracture visually. Without the benefit of a clinical exam and radiographs i cannot give you an opinion as to whether or not your tooth may have been fractured. To prove your case you have to show, based on his review of dental records, that the dentist did not practice to the level of the local standard of care and this failure caused you injuries. Malpractice cases almost always require expert testimony about the standard of care and about causation of your problem. This expert needs to competent and admissible expert testimony anchored in reliable evidence about why the standard of care was not met. Awards in cases like this are more limited and typically are for expenses for you would incur to be restored to a functional bite. For this reason, you may have a hard time finding a lawyer to take the case because the award, if the dentist is found guilty, will not be sufficient to cover expenses and the procedures to correct the dental problems. I suggest that you consult with a lawyer if you feel you have grounds for a suit.

In brief: As

In brief: Dr

Dr funari has given you sound advice.
As I have reiterated on a number of past posts, the best way to handle things like this is one on one with your dentist. These types of things do happen, and it should be the good relationship you have with him/her that will allow you to come to an amicable solution. Although I am not an attorney, it is my understanding that you would have to prove that your dentist deviated from the normal practice of dentistry. This might prove difficult if there were no outward symptoms or definitive evidence on your radiographs. I know you are looking for some sort of guarantee, but unfortunately there is no medical procedure that can be guaranteed fool proof and problem free. You allowed your dentist to fabricate your bridge because you had faith in him. Have faith that he did do everything correctly, and this is just one of those things that happen. Work something out with that in mind and don't try to cast blame where none may exist.

In brief: Dr

Dr funari has given you sound advice.
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Nope. Clinicians

Nope. Clinicians must interpret data presented before them to render a judgement.
We don't always have all the clues before us, so based on the data we do the best we can. Also, events after our care are beyond our control. We can do everything perfectly and still not have a favorable outcome. Things sometimes just happen.

In brief: Nope. Clinicians

Dr. Jack Hinkle