What does the bicuspid valve do in the heart?

Dr. Andrew Freeman
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Lots

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to, but the typical valve with two leaflets is the mitral valve.
It's usually not called "the bicuspid valve" though. A bicuspid aortic valve is a 2 leaflet aortic valve (should be 3) and is the most common congenital abnormality which can lead to aortic valve leaking or tightness later in life.

In brief: Lots

Dr. Andrew Freeman
Dr. Andrew Freeman
Dr. Mario Matos-Cruz
Also a bicuspid aortic valve has an increased risk of developing ascending aortic aneurysms. If you have a bicuspid aortic valve your cardiologist will follow the valve as well as the diameter of the ascendding aorta.
Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Abnormal

Bicuspid valve is an abnormal valve that may fail earlier -- and also is related to coarctation or thoracic aorta stenosis -- please see a cardiologist for evaluation.

In brief: Abnormal

Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Dr. Budi Bahureksa
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology