What does someone implant to control atrial fibrillation?

Not much. In reality, there are no implants that are commonly used to control atrial fibrillation. There used to be atrial defibrillators, but these are not used much any more. Pacemakers might be implanted as part of a care plan for af - but this only prevents slow pulses that might come as a result of medications for the af or after av-node ablation. Pacemakers themselves can not prevent or control af.
May need a pacer. Some pts with a fib have very fast heart rates . These are treated with medications to slow the rate . If the rate goes too slow or pt has a heart block even with small amts, then the patient has sick sinus syndrome or brady-tachy syndrome. You need a pacemaker to prevent slow rates while the medicine treats the fast rates.