What should I do if i'm not getting a lot of milk when I pump?

Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Keep stimulating
Bodies and breasts need to be told to make milk.
The two strongest signals are direct nipple and breast stimulation and infant crying. Two things that happen a lot with breastfeeding babies. So for pumpers who arent direct feeding, the stimulation is difficult. The pump is more vacuum than stimulant. Try direct stimulation with hands, shower, etc. Pump around feeds when baby is crying a lot.

In brief: Keep stimulating
Dr. Marcus Degraw
Dr. Marcus Degraw
In brief: Don't give up!
Drink more non-caffeinated liquids, play soothing music or a tape of your baby's hungry cry while pumping, take a warm shower or apply warm compresses to your breast prior to pumping, use fenugreek, pump more often.

In brief: Don't give up!
Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Dr. Sharon Gilliland
Dr. Andrea Brand