Is my leg cast too tight? I fractured my fibula and tore a ligament near my ankle. Yesterday my doctor repositioned my foot/ bone in preparation to be casted. I didn't experience much pain or discomfort once the cast was set but today I am experiencing a

It . It is very important to keep your leg elevated above the level of your heart to prevent swelling after a reduction and casting since the cast is circumferential and if your foot swells it may cut off circulation. I would keep it elevated and apply ice and if the pain and swelling does not subside or if it worsens i would go to the nearest er and have the cast split or removed.
It's . It's not unusual to have an increase in swelling for a few days after an injury and this may be accentuated by any manipulation that your doctor did to improve the position of the bones in hopes of helping you to avoid an operation. As dr. Sammimi stated, it is critical to keep the leg elevated, as a circumferential cast will not accommodate much swelling. Numbness and increasing pain are definitely red flags that the cast may now have become too tight and if you do not get quick relief from elevating your leg, you should seek medical attention.
YES . Yes it is common. The bset thing i always did was to split every cast i applid, the taped it tight but sent the patients home with variou sized wood wedges t-shaped in varying widths and showed them hoe to use a large screwdrives to spread the cast and insert the wedges. In your case if you used ice, kept it elevated and your toes pink up slowly compared to your uningered side or are very slow to pnik up, call your cast applier and seek advise. If not happy with it go to the er.