Will my gums heal back together after cutting and separating them while flossing? I was recently flossing in-between my lower front teeth and cut my gum between the teeth. The cut is diagonal, and has created a triangular section of tissue to be separated

Dr. Justin Nelson
Dentistry - Pediatric
Yes they will grow back.
Just take it easy on the aggressive flossing, stick to some softer food & take some Ibuprofen to help with inflammation/pain

Yes they will grow back.
Dr. Justin Nelson
Dr. Justin Nelson
In brief: That
That triangular tissue is the interdental papilla.
It may or may not have been damaged by the agressive flossing. There is no "dental glue", but there is something called a periodontal dressing which can be molded and placed over the wound to protect it from further trauma for the next few days. Since it is in an area that is quite visible and esthetic, you should have it looked at by your dentist since loss of that papilla could result in a black triangular space in that area.

In brief: That
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. G Funari
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: See
See your dentist.
This injury will probably heal on it own but an evaluation by your dentist will make sure that you don't have a problem later down the road because it is better to encourage good healing now that having to reconstruct the area later if there is a large deficit.

In brief: See
See your dentist.
Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari
Dr. Jean Edderai
Dentistry
In brief: Don't
Don't worry, complete healing should be expected within 48 to 72 hours, if periodic rinses of warm salted water are made at least 3 to 4 times a day.
Best wishes of good luck!

In brief: Don't
Best wishes of good luck!
Dr. Jean Edderai
Dr. Jean Edderai
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management
In brief: Minor gum cut
For healing a minor cut to the gums, eat soft foods, rinse with warm salt water (1 teaspoon of salt in an 0.
5 glass of water), repeat twice a day until the cut is healed. If concerned, see your dentist after 7 days.

In brief: Minor gum cut
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Marsha Davis