A few months ago i developed this small lump on my inner lip, how soon should it get removed? Or is it okay to leave it there? I am a 27 year old woman who has only been with one man, a faithful man. The only wart he's ever had on him was on his finger. W

Dr. G Funari
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: There

There are many things that can cause a growth in the lower lip, from the simple (fibroma or mucocel) to the complex (cancer).
There are very few things that can cause a growth in the lower lip that will miraculously disappear. Without obtaining a sample of the tissue to microscopically examine it is impossible to provide a diagnosis. Mucocel, or better known as mucous extravasation phenomena, is the result of damage to one of the hundreds of minor salivary glands located in the mouth. Either the gland itself is damaged or the duct that allows the saliva to escape into the mouth. The result is that the saliva is still produced around meal times but has no where to escape to causing a build up in the tissues. These lesions can grown quite large and become painful. Occasionally the saliva will slowly leak into the mouth allowing the swelling to decompress. Unfortunately this is not the end of the problem. In situations like this i recommend removal of the lesion for diagnostic, and potentially curative, purposes. If you are not comfortable with your present surgeon seek a second opinion.

In brief: There

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari
Dr. Robert Strimling
Dermatology

In brief: This

This could be many things, including cancer.
I would recommend seeing a board certified dermatologist for an evaluation and accurate diagnosis and surgery, if deemed appropriate.

In brief: This

Dr. Robert Strimling
Dr. Robert Strimling
Dr. Jane Van Dis