What are the largest abdominal aortic aneurysm on record?

Dr. Patrick Wyffels
Critical Care

In brief: Good Question

The largest abdominal aneurysm I have operated on was 16 CM in diameter. It is unusual these days to find really large diameter aneuryms due to better screening & due to the number found incidentally when exams such as sonograms or ct scans are performed for other reasons.
Increasing size correlates with increased rupture rates.

In brief: Good Question

Dr. Patrick Wyffels
Dr. Patrick Wyffels
Dr. Jacques Kpodonu
I have also operated on one 13 cm
Dr. Peter H'doubler
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Not sure of record..

The natural history of AAA is that they enlarge and rupture.
The larger, the greater the risk of rupture. I have seen a patient with an unruptured AAA that was 10 cm in diameter. He was repaired urgently! hard to imagine that AAA can get too much bigger and not leak or rupture.

In brief: Not sure of record..

Dr. Peter H'doubler
Dr. Peter H'doubler
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology