I picked at my cold sore and then touched my vagina. I put rubbing alcohol all over my vagina, what do I do now? I've had cold sores all my life, and rarely washed my hands before wiping, touching, etc. But haven't come up with genital herpes.

Dr. Edward Jacobs

In brief: Stop Picking !

If you have recurrent cold sores, you may benefit from being on long term prophylactic (preventative) anti-viral agent (such as valcyclovir).
. Don't pick your cold sores (it will only spread the virus) and don't ever use alcohol around the vagina. You're at increased risk of spreading the virus to other parts of your body and your partner's body, so please consult your md for further evaluation.

In brief: Stop Picking !

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: Wash hands

Cold sores are caused by hsv type 1.
It is possible to transmit this to the vagina so washing your hands is important. Hsv 1 is less common on the genitals though with less than a 5% recurrence rate when it happens. You are probably fine. Avoid rubbing alcohol on the vagina as this may cause a chemical burn and irritation.

In brief: Wash hands

Cold sores are caused by hsv type 1.

In brief: Hello.

Hello. The first thing to do is to stop putting rubbing alcohol on your vagina - ouch.
The cold sores that you have had much of your life are caused by herpes simplex type 1. Genital herpes is cause by herpes simplex type ii. Although there have been reports of type i at genitalia, for the most part, type i prefers the environment of the mouth.

In brief: Hello.

Dr. Adam Levy