Labial frenectomy daughter is 20 years old there is no gap between her front teeth is this procedure necessary?

Dr. G Funari
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: A

A labial frenectomy is generally recommended for three reasons: 1.
There is a prominent fibrous attached on the ridge of the jaw that prevents the central incisors from coming together. In this case the frenum is cut to release the lip and the fibrous attachment is removed. 2. The frenum places a significant pull on the gum tissue around the necks of the teeth. The frenum is removed to prevent gum recession and bone loss. 3. The frenum restricts the lip preventing seating of a denture. I would ask your orthodontist why he / she is recommending removal, and if you are not sure what to do, seek a second opinion.

In brief: A

Dr. G Funari
Dr. G Funari
Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: All

All surgery has risks and you would need to understand the benefit to the procedure before you consent to it.
In my experience, labial frenectomy is rarely necessary even when there is a gap. So why is your doctor recommending it?

In brief: All

Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Dr. Harry Aronowitz
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: If

If the attachment is at a certain level, then it may be recommended.
Despite all suggestions, however, the patient always has the right to decline. If i warn a patient that if i don't do a procedure then something might happen, they can decline, knowing full well i warned them. It is part of informed consent. So if you elect to have braces and not do a frenectomy, a space may form in later years. If it does, it was simply a choice you made and can correct it then (at additional time and expense). With the use of lasers, this has become a very quick and relatively painless procedure.

In brief: If

Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dr. Lance Timmerman
Dr. Adam Levy